While the majority of individuals believe that the purpose of pediatric dentistry is to assess one’s brushing habits and check for cavities, this is only partially true. With additional residency training and education in dentistry for infants, children, teens and children with special needs, pediatric dentists provide a number of comprehensive oral health care treatments, while providing insight into a patient’s oral and overall health. As noted by Healthy Children, the following are included in the arena of pediatric dentistry:
- Infant oral health exams, which include determining the child’s risk of developing cavities
- Preventative dental care such as cleaning and fluoride treatments, along with recommendations for diet and nutrition
- Habit counseling for children that use a pacifier or suck their thumb
- Early assessment and/or treatment for orthodontic care
- Repair of tooth defects
- Early diagnosis for diseases such as Diabetes, Congenital Heart Defect, Asthma, Hay Fever and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Management of gum diseases and conditions along the gum tissues, including ulcers, short frenulae, mucoceles and pediatric periodontal disease
- Emergency care for dental injuries such as fractured, displaced or knocked-out teeth
As children enter various stages of development, the structure and condition of their teeth, gums and mouth change. Without proper dental care at an early age, children’s risk of experiencing tooth decay and other oral diseases increase. As a result, their permanent teeth are at risk for infection, causing a lifetime of oral health concerns. What’s more is that when children have asthma or hay fever, they are more likely to develop childhood cavities. Early treatment is crucial to protect gum tissues and ultimately prevent children from losing their teeth.
Experience Early Dental Care In A Fun And Relaxing Atmosphere!
At Precision Digital Dentistry, we love kids! We also understand that children adjust better to routine dental care when they begin visiting the dentist early. To ensure that your child has a positive experience, we do our best to make their visit fun and relaxing with special amenities and gentle care. Is it time for your child to visit the dentist? Call Precision Digital Dentistry in Bridgewater today.